Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Got a Great Surprise .....


Let me try to describe. 

It’s not enough simply to announce that finally -- after years and years -- I have experienced the fulfillment of a long-held dream. Not enough to talk of a milestone reached. I’m not even sure I am capable of telling the magnitude of the surprise I got on returning  home this afternoon. 

The package was undistinguished. It didn’t cry out to me. But my dear wife, as usual more perceptive, was excited by it. I had so cavalierly ripped open the package because I had not bothered to read the return address. 

The package was from Zondervan Publishing. 

It was the first advance copy of my new book! The official publication date is not till March 5th and, though I had seen proofs and galleys and the incomplete paperback version the publisher had sent out to reviewers, this was the real thing! 

The title, “Finding Moosewood, Finding God” is embossed on the dust jacket, as is my name. The copy on the front flap includes that line I did not write but wish I had because it succinctly captures the nut of the story: “He gave up his life’s work ... And found his life’s purpose.” 

It’s gratifying to read portions of the various endorsements on the back cover and those endorsements in their entirety on the opening pages inside. It’s good to see all the photo pages inside showing glimpses of the TV years -- Vietnam and all, and others of our island lives including the shot of our Thanksgiving dinner laid out atop a foot of snow  blanketing our outdoor picnic table. 

What fun! And what a blessed opportunity coming soon to share my faith by sharing this book. Having finally seen the finished product, I am inordinately proud. 

No comments:

Post a Comment