Friday, January 11, 2013

Cal Thomas

Cal Thomas -- in many ways, the Man Who Made It Happen


I've known Cal for years and years and -- oh, yes! -- years. He referred to the tenure of our friendship in the Introduction he was kind enough to write for Finding Moosewood, Finding God.

But what I need to tell you is that there might not have been a Finding Moosewood, Finding God but for him. 

While I was busily contacting agents for this new book I wanted to get published, Cal, having read it in its very early stages, said he'd like to talk to a friend at Zondervan publishing house, the great Christian publisher in Grand Rapids, MI.. He did. And by the time I had chosen the wonderful agent I would be delighted to work with, Helen Zimmerman, (more about her later) Cal had already interested some folks at Zondervan into taking a look at my manuscript. 

Verne Kenney was the first at Zondervan to read sample chapters and quickly told me he'd like to read more. I sent him the whole manuscript. He got back to me several days later to say that "You've got a good book here, Jack." To which I replied, "No, Verne, I have a manuscript. I'm hoping you'll make it a book."

He had some insightful recommendations which greatly strengthened the work. And, having been an executive overseeing many of the groups and committees who now would have to read the ms. and give their thumbs up or down, he was well-positioned to be the work's shepherd through the process. I was most fortunate to have him behind it, behind me. 

And, as I said before, it was Cal who got the process all started with Zondervan. I couldn't thank him enough. Instead, I had yet one more favor to ask him. And that was, would he please write a foreword or introduction for the book. 

Now, Cal is busy. Beyond his widely syndicated columns and his regular pieces in USA Today, he also serves as a regular contributor to Fox News, and broadcasts for a D..C. radio station and Salem Communications stations. And travels regularly with his wife to their getaway home in Ireland. He's busy. Nevertheless, he readily agreed to my request though he said it might take a while to fit it in with everything else. 

That was late one afternoon. Next morning, in my email, I had it. He had done it at night and dispatched it first thing next day. I was shocked at his promptitude, but more by the generosity of his words. 

I won't spoil it all, rather save it for your enjoyment in the book, but here are some excerpts from Cal Thomas's Introduction to Finding Moosewood, Finding God
                                                           ------------------
         When we first met at NBC Washington back in the 60s, Jack’s official job description was a “writer” for the nationally known broadcast journalist, David Brinkley. Being a writer for Brinkley was something like being a hitting coach for Ted Williams. Brinkley wrote virtually all of his own stuff in a unique style. 

        I, through this, was a lowly copyboy at NBC News in Washington, but both of us saw ourselves as “in the door” at this great journalistic institution.
Like all of humanity, we were searching for the “meaning of life,” but didn’t know it at the time. In journalism, one can quickly become cynical because we see so many tragedies, political phonies and religious hypocrites, who fail to live up to promises they make, or practice what they preach. And so even if one decides to search for objective truth, one can often wind up lost by focusing on things below, rather than things above.
                                                          *     *      *
        In Finding Moosewood, Finding God, Jack Perkins takes us on his personal journey that led him to Jesus of Nazareth and to a new life with more purpose and power than anything Washington can offer or Hollywood can deliver. The problem with so many of us is that we never begin the journey and thus we never know that what is waiting for us is so much more – “exceedingly, abundantly, above all we ask or think,” as Scripture puts it – than the petty, unimportant and disposable things in which we place so much of our puny faith.
Jack’s faith in Christ is real because he has processed it – worked it out, as Paul the Apostle of Jesus commanded.  Finding Moosewood, Finding God is as unique as Jack. It avoids the clichés of contemporary evangelicalism and introduces us to what seems like an exciting life interviewing celebrities, only to present a much more purposeful life after Jack meets the Creator of all.

Friends, you can see, I believe, why I am so thrilled and grateful. Thank you, Brother Cal. 



2 comments:

  1. I'll look for it in the spring. Will you be offering a digital version for e-readers? I try not to get paper editions if I can avoid it - very small domicile.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There'll be e-book and audiobook versions.

    ReplyDelete